A lifelong painter and native Californian, Debra’s art career began at age two with a tube of red lipstick and her cooperative dog, followed by a crayon wall mural unsuccessfully hidden behind a chest of drawers. Working both in the studio and in the field, Debra’s paintings capture fleeting moments of the American experience which, on closer inspection, reward the viewer with small details often overlooked by the casual observer.
Her passion for art and sense of wanderlust for the natural world have culminated in a series of plein air painting adventures which include a pack trip to Lake Ediza in the Eastern Sierras and trips to Canyon de Chelly, California’s gold rush country, Yosemite Valley, Lake Arrowhead, Joshua Tree National Park, and the California coast.
Debra earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Central Oklahoma and studied for six years at the Art Student’s League of New York. Highly collectible, Debra’s work is frequently included in juried museum and themed gallery exhibitions and invitational shows. Debra is an Artist member of the California Art Club, a co-founder of Studio2310, and a founding member of the PAC6 Painters. .
- California Art Club’s 107th Annual Gold Medal Exhibition, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, 2018
- Between Heaven and Earth: PAC6 Paints the Sierras, Santa Paula Art Museum, CA 2017
- 10th Annual Art about Agriculture, Ag Art Alliance, Santa Paula Art Museum, CA 2017
- Golden State Splendor, California Art Club Exhibit at the Santa Paula Art Museum, CA 2017
- California Art Club Annual Gold Medal Show, USC Fisher Museum of Art, 2015, Autry National Center, 2012;
- Pasadena Museum of California Art: 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007;
- Pasadena Historical Society, 2002
- Contemporary Masters IV, Pasadena Art Gallery Association, Pasadena Museum of History, 2014
- Quintessential California, Santa Paula Art Museum, 2014
- Gold Coast, Paintings of Southern California by the California Art Club, Oceanside Museum of Art, 2011
- Annual Plein Air Paint Out and Show, Plein Air Artists of Riverside, Riverside Art Museum, CA, 2010, 2009
- Wildscapes 2017, The Bennington Center for the Arts, Bennington, VT, 2017
- Oil Painters of America 2016 Salon Show, Castle Gallery Fine Art, Fort Wayne, IN 2016
- America’s Parks II National Traveling Exhibition: Carothers Dunnegan Gallery of Art, Bolivar, MO; The Wildlife Experience, Parker (Denver), CO; Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tucson, AZ 2014
- 40th Annual San Dimas Fine Art Festival, San Dimas, CA 2016
- 39th Annual San Dimas Fine Art Festival, San Dimas, CA 2015
- Joshua Tree National Park Art Exposition, Oasis of Mara, Twentynine Palms, CA 2016, 2015
- Salon International, Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio, TX 2013